Monday, November 25, 2013

Avocado Toast 2.0


Every morning for breakfast, I eat avocado on toast.  There are a couple of different variations, but two things always remain the same; avocado and toast.  Breakfast is one of the most enjoyable parts of my day.  The house is quiet, everyone has left, and I get to sit with my toast and tea and watch all the dog walkers out my front window.  I occasionally watch old episodes of River Cottage on YouTube as well (a guilty pleasure of mine...).

I didn't use to eat breakfast, but after travelling to New Zealand and being served breakfast every morning from the families I was staying with, I came to realize what an important part of the day it is.  When I tried eating breakfast in the past, it was never satisfying enough, so I just ended up snacking or being hungry.  But, avocado on toast is so filling that it keeps me full until lunch without need for even a morning snack.

The chia seeds in this recipe are great for Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.  They are also full of fibre and help to keep you fuller longer.

One of the most important parts of this meal is the bread.  It is very important to pick a hearty whole-grain preservative-free loaf.  If you are lucky enough to live in Edmonton or Calgary, you have a Prairie Mill Bakery that sells amazing loaves with different daily specials.  If you live in a different city, seek out real bakery bread - it is more nutritious and more filling.

This week, I am featuring two recipes: avocado toast - the original and avocado toast 2.0


Avocado Toast - The Original

2 slices mediterranean olive bread (or regular bread)
butter or mayo
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
salt, pepper

Directions:
Toast bread, slather on butter or mayo, top with avocado slices, sprinkle with chia seeds, salt and pepper.


Avocado Toast 2.0

2 slices ancient grain bread (or regular bread)
coconut butter (or coconut oil)
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
1 Tbsp toasted shredded coconut
a few cilantro leaves
salt, pepper.

Directions:
Toast bread, slather on coconut butter, top with avocado slices, sprinkle with chia seeds, add coconut, cilantro leaves, salt, and pepper.


I realize that this is not much of a recipe and is more of a list of ingredients, but believe me, if you try it, you will love it.  Personally, I'm addicted.

Options:

1. Sometimes instead of butter or mayo, I will use cashew cream to lighten the calories and make it vegan.  To make cashew cream, soak 1/2 cup cashews in water for 4 - 8 hours.  Rinse.  Puree in a blender (or "bullet") with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp onion powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and a splash of water.  Add enough water to make it the consistency you want.  It will last in the fridge for about five days.

Shopping Tips:
1. Buy avocados 2 - 3 days before you will need them.  They are ripe when they are just starting to give.  Cut the avocado in half around the pit and then twist to separate.  Hit the pit with the heel of your knife and twist to remove the pit.  Cut the half into quarters and peel the skin off.  If you are only going to use half of the avocado, keep the half with the pit in it in a container in the fridge to keep it from going brown.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Here's another opportunity for me to change my taste in food. I haven't yet taken a liking to fresh avocado unless they're pureed in guacamole! I'll have to think on this one a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to make sure that they are the right ripeness. If they are underripe, they don't have very good flavour. I also find that I like them more when I add salt and pepper to them.

    ReplyDelete

UA-45633129-1